We are really excited to present the second livestream session of our KOKUSHU! 國酒 season, exploring Japanese beverage culture and tradition in partnership with RYUKYU 1429 Authentic Ryukyu Awamori and the support of the Government of Japan. Want to explore an entire new spirit category, with over six centuries of history? Of course you do – because great bartenders never stop learning! Introducing a deep dive into the ancient Okinawan spirit, Awamori.
Way back in the 15th Century, the technique of distillation arrived on the pacific island chain known as the Ryukyu Kingdom, an important trading hub of the old Eastern world and one of the gateways to the rest of the old Japanese empire. The locals refined the process, incorporating local ‘Black Koji‘ fermentation practices and created ‘Awamori‘, a rice-based spirit that became synonymous with Okinawan culture. Today, Awamori’s 600 years of history and culture, is being shared beyond the bounds of of the old island kingdom.
Our masterclass drills down into the history and culture of one of the world’s oldest traded spirits, exploring flavour and taste profiles, the long traditions of Black Koji utilisation, how bartenders can incorporate this very versatile spirit category into their recipe list – and a tasting session that 20 early birds will be able to sip along with!
This session features:
- Jun Ogawa – Awamori advocate and Brand Owner of RYUKYU 1429 Authentic Ryukyu Awamori.
- Giulio Amodio – RYUKYU1429 Global Brand Ambassador, Bar Manager of China Tang at the Dorchester Hotel, talking us through his experience of the new category of Awamori spirits
- A Live Q&A with an Okinawan Master Distiller from Okinawa, Japan.
- An Awamori-mixing session with the UKBG Allstar team with live Q&A
- A live tasting session – early-bird registrants get to ‘taste-a-long’!
The first twenty ‘early-bird’ registrants get a FREE companion Awamori taster pack, to accompany the livestream tasting session. Don’t miss out! NB: This offer is only available in the UK, as we’re unable to ship packs outside of the country.