Japanese Sake & The Incredible Power of Koji
MARCH 7 – 11AM – 1.30PM – ONLINE MASTERCLASS
The UKBG is very proud to welcome five distinguished industry guests to lead our first online event, livestream masterclass session of our KOKUSHU! 國酒 (Japanese Alcoholic Beverages) season. Koji is Japan’s most important ingredient, used in many Japanese beverage and food fermentation processes. From sake and awamori, to miso, soy sauce, mirin and rice vinegar – there are so many applications. Our session focuses on the story of Koji 麹, it’s cultivation and and how different strains create different taste and aroma profiles! We will also be going to depth into the diversity of Sake and other Koji by-products.
- Rie Yoshitake, one of the leading Sake proponents in Europe, a representative of the Japan Sake and Shochu Maker’s Association (JSS) and the director of the Japanese Culinary Academy (UK);
- Akemi Yokoyama, certified Koji Educator, trained at the prestigious Koji Academy (JP), a celebrated London-based Japanese chef as proprietor of Gohan London, presenter and culinary instructor;
- Miho Komatsu, a JSS Academy Graduate, Sake educator for WSET, IWC Sake judge, and Director of Global Sales and Marketing for a leading Japanese Sake producer;
- Marie Cheong-Thong Executive Director of the British Sake Association, council member of Association of Wine Educators, Member of Circle of Wine Writers, WSET and JSS Certified Educator, Panel Chair IWSC and Panel Chair International Spirit Challenge; Sake School of America Instructor for Certified Shochu Adviser and Sake Adviser Courses;
- and finally Jun Ogawa, Shochu and Awamori specialist and educator.
Tickets and registration for this event are open now. The first twenty people to register before 15 February will receive a free companion Sake Testing Kit to accompany our Sake tasting session. Follow our registration button, and select the ‘Early Bird’ ticket! Book early to avoid disappointment – this is definitely not one to be missed!