The UK Bartenders Guild presents our second livestream session of our KOKUSHU! 國酒 season, exploring Japanese beverage culture and tradition in partnership with RYUKYU 1429 Authentic Ryukyu Awamori and with support from the Government of Japan. This session takes a deep dive into the ancient Okinawan spirit, Awamori.
In the 15th Century, the technique of distillation arrived on the pacific island chain known as the Ryukyu Kingdom, an important trading hub of the old Eastern world. The locals refined the process, incorporating local ‘Koji’ fermentation practices and created ‘Awamori’, a rice-based spirit that became synonymous with Okinawan culture. Today, Awamori’s 600 years of history and culture, is being shared beyond the bounds of of the old island kingdom.
Our masterclass drills down into the history and culture of one of the world’s oldest traded spirits, exploring flavour and taste profiles, how bartenders can incorporate this very versatile spirit category into their recipe list – and a tasting session that 20 early birds will be able to sip along with.
This session features:
- Jun Ogawa – Awamori advocate and Brand Owner of RYUKYU 1429 Authentic Ryukyu Awamori.
- Giulio Amodio – RYUKYU1429 Global Brand Ambassador, Bar Manager of China Tang at the Dorchester Hotel, will be introducing his experience to the whole new category of spirit cocktails.
- A Live Q&A with an Okinawan Master Distiller from Okinawa, Japan.
- An Awamori-mixing session with the UKBG Allstar team with live Q&A
- A live tasting session – early-bird registrants get to ‘taste-a-long’!
The first twenty ‘early-bird’ registrants get a FREE companion Awamori taster pack, to accompany the livestream tasting session. Don’t miss out! NB: This offer is only available in the UK, as we’re unable to ship packs outside of the country.
The UK Bartenders Guild, founded in 1934, is one of the oldest surviving British trade guilds that represents the interests and welfare of bar workers in the UK. We were a founding member of the International Bartenders Association. Currently, membership is free for members of the bar industry and provides access to a number of masterclasses, product demonstrations and most importantly – a community of likeminded souls. Learn more on our website.